Once a year, a select few Alaska citizens and organizations that exemplify great art and devotion to the humanities are recognized for enriching the culture of the state.
The Alaska State Council on the Arts and the Alaska Humanities Forum are pleased to announce the eight recipients of the 2014 Governor’s Awards for the Arts and Humanities. In addition to the four Arts awardees and the four Humanities awardees, the Alaska State Council on the Arts is also pleased to announce that Frank Soos of Fairbanks will be the 2014-2016 Alaska State Writer Laureate.
The annual awards ceremony are co-presented by the Alaska State Council on the Arts and the Alaska Humanities Forum in coordination with the Office of the Governor. The event will be presented the evening of Thursday, January 29, 2015 at the Juneau Arts and Culture Center, featuring performances by Alaskan artists.
The 2015 awardees are:
Governor’s Awards for the Arts
• Arts Education Award: Leslie Matz, Fine Arts Department Chair, Dimond High School, Anchorage
• Individual Artist: Margo Klass, Visual Artist, Fairbanks
• Arts Organization: Sitka Fine Arts Camp, Sitka
• Alaska Native Arts: Sealaska Heritage Institute, Juneau
Governor’s Awards for the Humanities
• Dr. Talis Colberg, Campus Director, University of Alaska Mat-Su College, Palmer
• Annette Evans Smith, President and CEO, Alaska Native Heritage Center, Anchorage
• Dr. Aldona Jonaitis, Director, University of Alaska Museum of the North, Fairbanks
• Allison Warden, Interdisciplinary Artist and Founder/Artistic Director at Uyalunaq, Anchorage
Alaska State Writer Laureate
• Frank Soos, Professor Emeritus, University of Alaska, Fairbanks
Tickets are now on sale!
2015 Governor’s Awards VIP Reception and Awards Ceremony tickets can be purchased at: http://bit.ly/2015GovAwardsVIPTix. Enjoy a special opportunity to meet this year’s awardees at the VIP Reception at the KTOO studios @360, then move to the Governor’s Awards ceremony across the street at the Juneau Arts & Culture Center. Ticket price includes admission to the VIP reception and admission to the public reception and awards ceremony.
2015 Governor’s Awards Public Reception and Awards Ceremony tickets can be purchased at: http://bit.ly/2015GovAwardsTix